Sunday 15 January 2023

 Trying a little bit of external motivation, and barebones blogging.  That is, I'm going to write some stuff, possibly, as now, with my eyes closed, and post it, rather than editing and rewriting and antagonizing over every word.  Sorrry if I sometimes say something in haste and get it a little bit off.

So, I'm horrible at getting myself to work on something, and even worse about telling the outside world what I"ve been up to, so please, I would like you to leave some sort of comment on here, mentioning a project that I have ever mentioned, or just that you think I might be interested in, and I shall try to do A Thing.

Here, A Thing is defined as either writing about the story thus far on it, writing about things I am thinking of doing next, or doing some more, and writing a little bit on it.

Things I have been doing, or thingking about doing, lately include, in sno particular order, but numbered for ease of reference...

1. Bigass pan/tilt mechinisim.  I got this from a radio rally thing a while back, and I think I made it move under the controll of an arduino before lossing interest / getting distracted by oether things.  Next things would be to figure out in detail where I was at with it, and reassemble it a bit, then probably do some calculations to get it to point at either arbitrary points on the earth's surface, or arbitrary sateleities in orbit, attach a camera to it, attach an antenna...

2. Trying to extract all the data I can off of bluetooth le stuff around me.

3. Some random IoT sensors I have knocking about.

4. An old wifi / ethernet speaker / DLNA media renderer that I recently opened up and disassembled.  It has some well-marked and interesting -looking test points waiting to be soldered down to and explored.

5. Attempting to reverse engeneer the wuuk smart doorbells.  I've got a fair bit of hardware now, because I know three people who got them, three people who have had some sort of failure with them, three people who have been given a whiole new kit, and two people who have stopped using them because the faults continued.  ("People" here might be a bit of a misnomer.  Installations, including my own, as two of those three are multiperson households.)

6. A bit of an attempt to reverse engineer the garmin dashcam mini (2?, can't quite recall just now, and the rules prevent me from looking it up for this post).  Unlike the wuuk, I don't have access to hardware, at least not for the taking-apart -- we have exactly one of these, it works, and was reasonably expensive.  I'd like to keep it working, and usable.  I'd also, however, like it to nicely integrate with my local image storage, and my car pi.  Speaking of which...

7. Attempting to make a useful car pi, mostly from zero.

8. Attempting to fix the wifi in my back garden, so my car pi can have interenet when it is parked.

9. WiseRenamer, my ghidra script / dancing swiss army bell-knife.  This is my attempt to make a framework for extracting information out of executables largely "touchless", by means of reading all of the metadata I can manage.  It is currently a giant mess, because I feel very little motiviation to make it nicer.  Hopefully, writing abou tit will encourage me to do more about this.

10.  ... eh, that's enough for now, time to hit the go button.


2 comments:

  1. I often find that its useful to attempt to write down a "next step" for each of the projects you're thinking about. If your brain refuses to think of one, that's fine, skip it and move on to the next.

    The garden wifi is also useful for the Garmin (both for data storage and for poking it without removing it)

    Could be worth working on the WiseRenamer publicly, rather than perfectioning first? Aka post to github or similar and then do updates there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly interested in magic extraction of Garmin Mini 2 data, myself

    ReplyDelete